Making Procyclic Form Media
- Find the 10 L plastic bucket.
- Rinse bucket and 2 L cylinder with distilled water and then with MilliQ water.
- Pour 8 L of MilliQ water into the bucket.
- Wash the big stir bar with MilliQ.
- Stir the water.
- Add 1/2 a bottle of HyClone SM media powder (296 g). Measure 2x 148 g.
- Stir for at least 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, thaw MEM vitamins and prepare fresh NaOH (20g of pellets -> 50 mL - use MilliQ.
- Add 25 mL MEM vitamins.
- Adjust pH to 7.5 with fresh NaOH (pour in about 25 mL and then go dropwise).
- Increase the volume to approx. 9.4L.
- Stir for 1/2 hour or longer.
- Filter sterilize (low protein binding filter) - 900 mL/bottle. Use the graduation on bottle to gauge the right amount.
Download Protocol: Procyclic Form Media Protocol
(note requires Microsoft Word to open)