Miniatures Page. "A Web magazine..." Lots of information
and links to all aspects of miniature figures.
Military history and more.
- Battlefield Visits. See a number of battlefields as they appear today.
- Librarium Online. Mega-forum on "Miniature Wargaming, Painting, and Scenery." Lots of stuff.
The Ancient and Dark Ages wargaming region tends to bleed across from very early, through to Medieval. Check links in both sections. Where possible, I've separated links that are predominantly about each period.
The Dark Ages
- Wargaming with Napoleonic Miniatures (Rafael Pardo). Napoleon's Battles scenarios, rule modifications, solo rules, battle data, painting, terrain (great), more (e.g., Vauban fortress model construction). Links to more sites.
- Leipzig Project. Related to the above site, this is the author's recreation of the battle, with all sorts of data, images, maps, etc. See also: Blog.
- Official Napoleon Uniform Thread (Total War Center). Loaded with images and descriptions.
- Uniforms of the French Army, 1690-1894. All troops shown. Great for Napoleonic period. Plates are from the book: Les Uniformes de l'Armée Française, published ca1900. Site is in German.
- Orders of Battle for Major Battles.
- Waterloo Campaign in Miniature (blog). Covers various aspects, including: OOBs, painted figures (15 and 28mm), other.
- Biographical Dictionary of All Austrian Generals During the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1791-1815. Biographies (no portraits).
- Russian Generals Of The Napoleonic Wars Period. Portraits and short biographies.
Wars of the Americas
Central & South American Revolutions
- Gaming the South American Wars of Liberation. Covers all aspects of the period, including books, scenarios, uniforms, and resource links.
- Wargaming South and Central American Conflicts (El Dorado). Latin American wars from Pre-Columbian to the present.
- Liberators! (Grenadier Miniatures). Home of the book: Liberators! Napoleonic Wargaming in South America Volume I: The War in the South, and 15mm miniature figure range that also covers this period (Online shop).
- Liberators! (John Fletcher blog). By the author of the rules.
- Liberators, 1810-1830. (Yahoo group). For gamers using the Liberators! rules.
- Liberators! product page (Principles of War site). Orders, resources, more visual samples of materials and figures.
- Liberators Quick Play Rules.
- Mayan Warfare. Brief article.
- SACA Wars (Yahoo group). South and Central American Wars. A list for those who are interested in wargaming warfare in South and Central America. All periods covered, from Aztecs and Incas to Sandanistas and The Shining Path, in the area from Mexico to Tierra Del Fuego. Discuss rules, scenarios, figures and more.
- South America. Despite the website title, this page relates to the Wars of Liberation. Has beautiful samples of painted figures.
The Anglo-Zulu War (1879)
- Anglo-Zulu War. For gamers. Introduction, resources, links.
- Zulu Painting guide. Short article with color images of figures. Great if you are interested in individual units and their backgrounds.
- Decisive Battles: Isandlwana 1879 (Graphic Firing Table blog). Nice images, some present-day, and text. Includes facts that are overlooked (or just ignored in favor of myths).
- iButhu: Anglo Zulu War. Includes sound. Many historical materials, photos, etc. Shows individuals involved, artifacts.
- Wargaming the Zulu War (blog). All aspects of the war, with relation to gaming it. Shows images, photos of miniatures, and links to anything you might need to study and game this period. Most important are links to good sites.
- Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames page. Incredible amount of materials, rules, images, how-to, etc.
- Trevor's Colonial Wargames. Gaming all wars of the period, but has a good Zulu War section.
- Rorke's Drift. Odd site mostly relating to Victoria Cross winners, but has more than this.
- Thin Red Line. Producers of reproduction uniforms. Has images showing equipment and uniforms.
- Rorke's Drift Diorama for Victorious Cross wargame rules. Create a simple model for gaming purposes. Includes diagrams and layout, along with related links.
- Wargames & Campaigns. 10mm World articles with battles fought; illustrated.
- Battlefields Route: KwaZulu Natal. Battlefields of the war. Has interactive map with links to specific actions.
See also: Zulu War Historic links. Best history resources.
Other Colonial Wars
- Colonial-era Wargames page (Major General
Tremorden Rederring's). Great site with everything a Victorian Era gamer could want. It also slides into the early 20th Century colonial shrinkage period. See the Figure Sources
for Victorian-era Wargaming page. Has not been updated recently (since 2006) so some links need updating but you can start here and search for these.
Other Periods & Dimensions
- Black Tree Design. For Doctors 1-8 this is the place.
- Crooked Dice Really great for Doctors 9-10; look at figures and find ones to match your needs.
- Heresy Miniatures Really great for Doctors 9-10; look at figures and find ones to match your needs
- Hasslefree Really great for Doctors 9-10; look at figures and find ones to match your needs
Who Compatible Miniatures
Doctor Who Resources. BBC, other sites with episodes, plots, images and media, other.
Zombies! Page for zombie games using figures. Mostly relating to the great Twighlight Creations game series, but I've added my own figures to the game to add color and variety, plus the option for variant rules.
- Heroscape (Wizards of the Coast). Hybrid game uses pre-painted miniatures (you can create your own figures too) and a hex-based landscape that you create using their hex pieces to create any terrain imaginable. Originally manufactured by Milton Bradley Company, it is now run by Wizards of the Coast. More info at Wikipedia.
- Heroscapers. For anything on the game system and variants, this is a great place. Resources, ideas, map designs, software, and discussions. If you are into Heroscape or anything in the system, this is the place to go.
An example of a resource here is:
- VirtualScape ( software program for Windows XP or Vista). You can create and edit heroscape battlefields and preview them in 3D. The software includes realistic rendering of all the official expansion sets.
Many paints and modeling materials contain substances and elements that are hazardous to your health. Even though the label says "non-toxic" it only means that it is non-toxic under "normal" use. Here are a few pages concerning this. Check with your paint manufacturer for more on the paints you are using. Manufacturers produce Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) that list compounds used, safety issues and concerns. These are found online.
Buildings & Terrain
Terrain and Buildings for 28mm Figures
- Sally 4th. Really great looking buildings and accessories. Terra-Blocks modular terrain; MDF walls, doors, floors, and props to build and interior.
- Miniature Scenery (CNC Workshop). Buildings, accessories, to construct your own landscape.
- Modular Map Tiles. Download and print hex terrain to mount on board. All types of terrain, with matching sides.
- War & Peace Games 28mm Terrain. Accessories, furniture, etc. Also available: 15mm terrain and buildings.
- 28mm Terrain and Buildings links. List of links.
- Hot Wire Foam Factory. Build hex terrain.
- Terragenesis. Articles and how-tos on terrain making. Lots of great stuff and links to companies that supply parts, substances, tools, etc.
Model Making, Sculpting, Casting (Selected list)
Products and Supplies for Sculpting & Casting
Gaming (Rules, Clubs, Other)
- CLGS (Corcoran's Legion Gaming Society)
- Fall-In Autumn gaming convention.
- HMGS East (Eastern
Chapter Historical Miniatures Gaming Society). Check out their Links page.
- Historicon. "HISTORICON is the historical miniatures gaming convention in the United States."
Armies DBA Page. Everything on the game, figures, related materials.
- Wargaming with 15mm Miniatures (blog). Covers all aspects and offers lots of links, images, resources.
Game Tools and Calculators
Reviews of Miniatures
These are mainly 15mm figures unless otherwise indicated.
- 10mm World. See and compare different figures by company. View articles and other materials.
Sources of uniform, flag, and unit materials.
Also Orders of Battle.
Companies (Makers and Distributors)
There are so many wonderful companies that it is
impossible to list them all. Here is a selection of some that I have
used or that I found of interest. See also: WW2 suppliers. My favorites:
- Alnavco. Producers
of several scales of warships, as well as accessories. Has an armor
division as well.
- Battlefront/Flames of War, See: WW2 suppliers.
- Black Hat Miniatures. Company owns the Gladiator
Games 15mm line, plus other lines from 15mm-28mm .
English company making 15 and 25mm figures and accessories. See their gallery.
Reviews and more images at the Society
of Ancients page. For US distributor see: Wargames below.
- Eureka Miniatures USA. Australian company that produces good figures in a range of sizes and periods. Eureka does custom figures as well in 15/18mm and 25/28mm. They also carry a number of lines, including AB Miniatures. Eureka offers good, friendly service. Not just another miniature store. You can order from US or Australian stores and get the same great service.
- Falcon Miniatures. 15mm and 25mm figures; all periods. Many unique or special figures (e.g., civilians, animals).
- Fighting 15s. English store supplies: 10mm, 15mm, 28mm and 40mm white metal wargames figures from Eureka Miniatures of Australia, including 15mm AB Figures. Fighting 15s is the sole supplier of 15mm Flags for AB, and also stocks white metal miniatures from Aude, Camelot Miniatures, Oddzial Osmy, Shadowforge Miniatures, and Scale Creep Miniatures, plus Coat D'Arms paints.
- Grandiosity Historical
Miniatures and Military Books. WarWeb.com. My favorite miniature supplier. Dealer with
complete line of miniatures, books, gaming materials, and a lot
- JR MIniatures. (New owners). Buildings, entrenchments, all periods. Shows photos of most of its product range.
- Magister Militum. Wide selection of figures and accessories, all scales. This is a great place to see what is available.
- Miniatures of Chesapeake. Great company, great service, great discounts; offering a variety of ranges, including Flames of War, Peter Pig, Plastic Soldier, and Vallejo paints.
- Old Glory 15s. "The official Battle Honors/Old Glory 15s website for manufacturer direct purchasing." They are the 15mm portion of the original Old Glory (see 25mm below). They show photos of OGs and Quality Castings (BH) figures and vehicles.
Glory. The 25mm figures site (Old Glory divided into two companies--15mm company above). Has photos of some of their line. Catalog is great
reference and has additional materials. Also features latest additions
to their growing lines. The image is a reduced-size version of
one in their catalog. More photos of OGs here. This company also produces the 10mm Old Glory figures, and carries the 15mm "Command Decision" figure line (Skytrex WW2 and Modern).
- Rebel Minis. Mostly 15mm, but some larger. Has "unique" ranges, including historical and fantasy/sci-fi figures. Some nice and unusual items (zombies, post-modern, ancients).
- Skytrex. Has 15mm Command Decision line (WW2 and modern), with nice photos. Also has 1/300 and other scales of armor, aircraft, and ships (Meridian 1/350, 1/700, 1/3000 Napoleonic, WW2, Modern ships), and decals in a variety of scales.
- Squadron Shop. All kinds of models, figures, modeling materials, books, etc.
- Scale Creep Miniatures. Historic, fantasy, other; 6mm-25mm; ships, airplanes; rules, other. Also has variety of harder to find mini brands.
- Scandinavian Wars. Lists who makes and sells figures for all scales, all periods, to do Scandinavian troops. HOWEVER, it covers more than just the Northern countries.
Productions. Really impressive figures (1/35, 120mm, and
larger), models, decals, and lots of stuff for modelers.
- War Store. Wide range of figures, vehicles, books, games, etc. Great service and great prices: ask for Neal.
- Wargames. American Essex figures distributor. They keep stock for the full range. Includes photos of some
figures. Many other lines are available.
- Miniatures INDEX. Long list of companies, with brief note on what they carry.
Tools and Accessories
- Apoxie Sculpt (Aves Studio). Great sculpting putty that is workable and dries hard, can be sculpted hard, and painted. See their other products as well. Look at all their products. Can't decide what to choose? View the Product Comparison Chart.
- Hirst Arts Fantasy Architecture. Build your own castles easily. Flexible molds for casting every kind of structural material for forts, castles, walls, houses, tombs, pyramids, dungeons, and more. Great for wargaming ideas.
- Taskboard. Project board used in model making and creating 3D forms and objects. It is thin (1/32" or 1/16"), sturdy, sandable, can be shaped, glued, and painted. Perfect for modeling buildings, terrain levels, and more.
- K & J Magnetics. Magnets to use for models? This is the best source for small, powerful (enough) magnets with great prices and good service.
- Litko Aerosystems. Bases for models and miniatures. Excellent quality, all sizes, custom work too. Has pre-cut bases for many rules systems (Napoleon's Battles, Flames of War, etc.). Also makes game tokens and markers (game-specific, generic, and custom).
Playing Cards. Blank cards, sheet-feed
blank computer cardstock, and anything relating to cards of all sorts.
Even has a personalized
card producing engine. Also has dice and other items.
- QuickHex, the Hex-Paper Maker. Create hex sheets in any configuration using this neat tool.
- Scale Card.
Cards and rulers to measure scale sizes to ensure accuracy. From 1/12
to 1:700 scales. They also make a Scale
[NO LONGER IN BUSINESS BUT STILL HAS REFERENCE MATERIALS].
- Micro-Mark. Tools
and accessories for miniature model making and figure work.
- Super Deluxe Tuckbox Template Maker. Make your own boxes to hold cards in.
- Inkwell Ideas. Role playing game software and accessories. Create maps, cards, other accessories for all types of games.
- Hex-based Campaign Design. Techniques and methods for creating hex maps from games to entire worlds.