Project 3

For this first map, we started off by creating a super basic html document with head, title, and body. From here, we added a reference to leaflet in our head. In the body, we added an additional line of code for leaflet and created a div tag with in-line CSS to specify a place for the map and its height and width. Once the div tag was made, we created the map object in javascript and centered the map on Buffalo. For the tile layer, we first used OpenStreetMap using L.tileLayer but we later used Stamen tile layers. For my project, I chose the "toner" tile layer. The last step was to create a point on the map for UB.

In this second map, we mapped vacant city owned properties using GeoJSON, javascript, and leaflet. The first step for this map was to convert the shape file to GeoJSON by opening the shape file in QGIS and re-saivng the document as GeoJSON. Next, we opened the new file in our text editor and created a Javascript variable by making all of the GeoJSON data into one variable, deleting a line of coding near the bottom and adding a semi-colon at the very end. Once the javascript was complete, we used a copy of our map one and chose a new basemap from leaflet. This was followed by adding a reference line to our javascript file. From here, we added additional coding to allow for pop up text describing our points and styled and added our points to the map. Our points were styled using basic in-line CSS.

References used for these two maps include Leaflet for the map object and basemaps, Stamen Maps for the tile layer of map one, and a Buffalo parcel database shapefile.