List of Activities
These days, even an organisation needs a resume!
- Posted articles on various newsgroups to increase awareness,
and start a dialogue.
- Sent microfiche library of 1000 books on appropriate
technology to SVT in India.
- Made presentations at IDS (Chicago), Parivartan (Penn State)
TANA (Toronto) and elsewhere for constructive exchange and
to learn more about others' efforts.
- Site visits to India to evaluate progress and needs.
- Catalyzed formation of 'Literacy Cell' in India Association
of Buffalo to mobilize Buffalo community.
- Proposals to other charitable foundations to fund well
- Musical evenings for raising funds for SVT's literacy and
- Chapter started in Pittsburgh (CMU).
- Awareness presentations (including music, dance, slide shows
and crafts shows) at Buffalo schools and libraries.
- Crafts shows, food festivals, car wash days and other
'service' events for the community.
- Tutoring students or doing other odd jobs, and donating
proceeds (Shram daan program).
- NATURE (New Approaches Towards Unifying Rural Education)
started as University wing of Gurukul.
- LIFE (Let's Invest For Education) program started, involving
`lifesavers' (piggy banks where each member (esp. a child) contributes
a dime a day every day).
- Project activities : 9 very low cost permanent houses built
using a newly developed design (each unit costs $500).
Nonformal education schools being run in 32 villages. Large
scale implementation of housing project planned.