Students who are receiving a tuition scholarship and are a New York State Resident must file for tap or submit an excess income form to the Office of Student Accounts. In filing for tap, both a "FAFSA" form and a tap form must be completed for the tap to be processed through NYS Higher Education Services in Albany. The tuition scholarship is then processed for the difference between the tap amount and the tuition. If the student does not file for the tap award an assumed amount is deducted and the tuition scholarship will automatically process for the difference between the assumed amount and the tuition. The student is liable for the assumed amount until the tap award is received or an excess income form is on file.