Ongoing Research | Publications | Datasets | Teaching
- "Resources, Ethnicity, and Commitment: Central Government Policies Toward Mineral-Rich Ethnoregions" (with Govinda Bhattarai) - presented at APSA 2011. Download
- "Heterogeneity, Fiscal Federalism, and the Size of Government" - working paper, download here
- "Globalization and Intrastate Conflict" (with William Ruger) - under review
- (with Noel Johnson, Steve Yamarik, and William P. Ruger) "Corruption as a Response to Regulation" - under review
- "Freedom, Growth, and Migration in the American States" - under review
- State and Local Public
Policies in the United States - updated to 2009, 2011 coding underway.
2012 (forthcoming). Does Fiscal Federalism Promote Regional Inequality? An Empirical Analysis of the OECD, 1980-2005. Regional Studies. preproof draft Regional economic self-rule dataset: (XLS)
2012. Does Foreign Investment Really Reduce Repression? International Studies Quarterly 56 (2): 427-436. With William Ruger. preproof draft (PDF) Replication data (Stata 8+): data, do file, guide to variable codes. Imputed
datasets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
2011. Secessionism: Identity, Interest, and Strategy. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. order here
2011. Mineral Production, Territory, and Ethnic Rebellion: The Role of Rebel Constituencies. Journal of Peace Research 48 (5): 571-585. download Stata replication data do file Data Appendix For the full Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset and associated documentation, see the Datasets section below
2011. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom, 2nd ed. (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George
Mason University). With William P. Ruger.
2011. The Institutions of Fiscal Federalism. Publius: The Journal of Federalism 41 (2): 207-231. download (Data
replication data (XLS) updated fiscal federalism data
2010. The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination: A Global Statistical Analysis, 1950-2003. International Studies
Quarterly. DOWNLOAD Stata replication
data Stata do file replication output
2009. Ethnicity and Nationalism in Wars of Secession. In Robert A. Denemark (ed.), International Studies Encyclopedia (Oxford, UK:
Wiley-Blackwell). ISA Compendium Project website
2009. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at
George Mason University). With William P. Ruger. Download Data Mirror
2009. The Partisan Logic of Decentralization in Europe. Regional and Federal Studies 19 (2): 255-272. Download here.
2009. Development and the Political Economy of Foreign Aid. Journal of Private Enterprise 24 (Spring). Download pre-submission version here.
2008. Regionalists Against Secession: The Political Economy of Territory in Advanced Democracies. Nationalism and
Ethnic Politics vol 14, no 3, pp 325-360. Download
2008. U.S. State and Local Public Policies in 2006: A New Database. State Politics and Policy Quarterly vol 8,
no 3, pp 309-326. With Fait Muedini and William P. Ruger. Download paper here. Download data here.
2005. The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism in Advanced Democracies. Comparative Political Studies vol 38, no 3, pp
304-326. Download here.
2004. Globalization, Secessionism, and Autonomy. Electoral Studies vol 23, no 4, pp 727-752. Download
2008. Secessionism. In Ronald Hamowy (ed.), The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism (Thousand Oaks, Cal.: Sage Publications), pp. 455-6.
Secession and Self-Determination (book review),
2002. "L'Europa delle regioni": una vana speranza. Quaderni Padani 43/44, pp. 57-60. Translated by Carlo Stagnaro.
The Failure to Converge: Why Globalization Doesn't Cause Deregulation. Critical Review vol 14, no 1, pp 19-33.
- Secessionist and regionalist parties - download (XLS) - panelwise averages on "avgs" tab, all election-years on
"provs" tab, secessionist regions only on "partiesp" tab, variable descriptions in comments. For data sources, see Sorens, "Regionalists Against
Secession" and "The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism."
- Fiscal Federalism Dataset: by country, 1950-2006 (XLS, corrected 2/20/12); by region, 1980-2005 (XLS)
- Global ethnic groups (for correcting Minorities at Risk for selection bias): Stata replication data. For
variable descriptions and sources see Sorens, "The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination."
- State and Local Public Policies
- Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset:
- full ethnoregion-year data (XLS)
- national production figures (XLS)
- codebook (DOCX)
- Introduction to Political Philosophy (PSC104 syllabus)
- Comparative Political Economy (PSC413 syllabus)
- Political Change
- Politics and Society (PSC222 syllabus)
- Secession and Autonomy Movements
- Elements of Political Economy (with Michael Wallerstein)
- Tools for International Analysis
- Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict (PSC211 syllabus)
- The Political Economy of International Relations (PSC641 syllabus)
- Economic Models of Politics
- International Political Economy (PSC328 syllabus)
- The New Europe
Ph.D., political science, Yale University, spring 2003.
B.A., economics and philosophy (honors), Washington and Lee University, spring 1998.
copyright 1995-2011, Jason Sorens