415 Fronczak Hall
Department of Economics
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Buffalo, NY 14260
Email: hyemiyou at buffalo.edu
- Ph.D., University of Rochester, Economics, 2009
o Dissertation: "Essays on the Economics of Human Capital"
o Advisor: Professor Mark Bils
- M.A., University of Rochester, Economics, 2004
- B.A., Seoul National University, Summa Cum Laude in Economics, 2000
Assistant Professor of Economics, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2009-present
- Research Associate, Center of Excellence on Human Capital, Technology Transfer, and Economic Growth and Development, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2010-present
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2008-2009
- Economist, the Bank of Korea, 2000-2002
Fields of Interests
Macroeconomics, Economic Development, Labor Markets
- The Contribution of Rising School Quality to U.S. Economic Growth, Journal of Monetary Economics, vol. 63 (2014), pp. 95-106.
- The Effects of Labor Composition on Hours Volatility: Evidence from the U.S., Journal of Economic Theory and Econometrics, vol. 25, no. 2 (2014), pp. 60-84.
- Explaining the Evolution of the U.S. Housing Market, joint with Byoung Hoon Seok, Macroeconomic Dynamics, forthcoming.
- Wage Volatility and Changing Patterns of Labor Supply, with Jay H. Hong and Byoung Hoon Seok, resubmitted, International Economic Review.
- Anticipated Wage Growth as a Factor of Educational Attainment, revise and resubmit, Macroeconomic Dynamics.
- Marriage, Working Spouses, and Male Wage Volatility, revise & resubmit, Korean Economic Review.
- Migration Restrictions: Implications on Human Capital, Output, and Welfare, joint with Jingchao Li and Byoung Hoon Seok.
- Explaining Rising School Expenditures in the U.S.
Work in Progress
- Rising Earnings Risk and Wealth Distribution with Housing, joiny with Byoung Hoon Seok and Lini Zhang
- Why Do Returns to Experience Differ across Countries? joint with Byoung Hoon Seok.
At the State University of New York at Buffalo
- Ph.D. Courses
o Macroeconomic Theory I & II
o Advanced Topics in Macroeconomics
- MA/Undergrad Courses
o Macroeconomic Theory
o Monetary Theory
o Microeconomic Theory
- Ph.D. Student Supervision (initial placement)
o Yonghun Jung, committee member, Aug. 2010, (Korea Energy Economics Institute).
o Lin Zhang, committee member, May 2013.
o Sang-Yong Oh, committee member, Aug. 2014.
o Yoon Sang Moon, committee member (ongoing).
Other Professional Experience
- Summer Intern at the International Monetary Fund, 2005
- Referee for the B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, Journal of Human Capital, Economic Inquiry
o 2016: Annual Conference of the Canadian Economics Association, KAEA-KEA International Conference (coauthor), Asian Meeting of the Econometric Society(coauthor), European Meeting of the Econometric Society (coauthor), Singapore Management University (coauthor), Hanyang University
o 2015: Midwest Macro Meetings (coauthor), Stockman Conference (coauthor), University of Toronto, EDePo Conference on Improving Productivity in Developing Countries (coauthor), Annual Conference on Computing in Economics and Finance (coauthor), Annual Conference of the Canadian Economics Association (coauthor), West Virginia University (coauthor).
o 2014: European Meeting of the Econometric Society, Annual Conference on Computing in Economics and Finance (coauthor), North American Sumer Meeting of the Econometric Society, Shanghai Macroeconomics Workshop (coauthor), Yonsei Global Research Team Workshop, Sungkyunkwan University, Sogang University.
o 2013: Stockman Conference (coauthor), Seoul National University (coauthor), Midwest Macro Meetings, NY/Philadelphia Workshop on Quantitative Macroeconomics, Midwest Economics Association Annual Meeting (invited, coauthor).
o 2012: Korea University, Seoul National University, Sogang University, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Stockman Conference (coauthor), Yonsei University (coauthor).
o 2011: Annual Conference of the Canadian Economic Association, Midwest Macro Meetings
o 2010: Stockman Conference, Korean Econometric Society Summer Conference, Korea University, Annual Conference of the Canadian Economic Association, Midwest Macro Meetings, University of Western Ontario.
o 2009: Wegmans Conference.
o 2008: Wegmans Conference, Far Eastern Econometric Society Meetings, Korea Development Institute-Korea America Economic Association Conference, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, University at Buffalo (SUNY).
o 2007: University of Rochester, Midwest Macro Meetings.
- Discussant at KAEA session in AEA Meetings (2009)
- Departmental Service
At University at Buffalo (SUNY)
o Undergraduate Committee, 2008-present.
o Seminar Committee, 2010-2012.
o Recruitment Committee, 2012-2013, 2014-2015.
o Joint Recruitment Committee, 2013-2014.
Fellowships and Honors
- Individual Development Award, United University Professions, 2012, 2015, 2016.
- College of Arts and Sciences Travel Fund, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2011, 2014, 2016.
- UUP Discretionary Award, United University Professions, 2010, 2014, 2015.
- Summer Research Grant, Center of Excellence on Human Capital, Technology Transfer, and Economic Growth, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2010.
- Start-up Research Fund, University at Buffalo (SUNY), 2008-2010.
- Travel Subsidy for Young Economists, Far Eastern Econometric Society Meetings, 2008.
- Conference Fund, GOG and Department of Economics, University of Rochester, 2007.
- W. Allen Wallis Institute of Political Economy Summer Fellowship, University of Rochester, 2006.
- Graduate Fellowship, University of Rochester, 2005-2007.
- Japan-IMF Scholarship for Advanced Studies, 2003-2005.
- 1st Prize, Research Paper Competition, the Bank of Korea, 2002.
- Department Fellowship, Seoul National University, 1998.
- Languages: English (Fluent), Korean (Native).
- Programming experience in: Gauss, Matlab, Fortran, Stata.
- Member, American Economic Association, 2010-2012.
- Member, Korea-America Economic Association, 2009-present.
- Member, Econometric Society, 2015-present.
- US Permanent Resident (Citizenship: Korean), Married to Byoung Hoon Seok (Asst. Prof. of Economics, The Ohio State Univ.), Two Children.
Last update: Nov. 2016