Department of Geography -
College of Arts and Sciences -
State University of New York at Buffalo
Publications by James E. McConnell
James E. McConnell has been involved in the preparation of 22 technical reports for local, state, and national private- and public-sector agencies. He has presented over 50 academic papers at national and international meetings. In addition, he has presented more than 60 lectures to various private- and public-sector groups in North America on matters related to international trade, industrial location, and public policy.
The following is a sample of some of the many publications published by Dr. McConnell:
- "International trade and the new economic geography," in Applied
Geography: A World Perspective, eds. A. Bailly and L. Gibson (Dordrecht,
The Netherlands: Kluwer Publisher, forthcoming, 2004) , with Jessie Poon.
- "The cost to the U.S. economy of import restrictions and increased
national security," Occasional Paper No. 27 (Buffalo: Canada-U.S.
Trade Center, April, 2003), pp. 1-13.
- "On extending the NAFTA southward: The view from the South,"
Occasional Paper No. 25 (Buffalo: Canada-U.S. Trade Center, May,
2002), pp. 1-25.
- Greater Regional Industrial Technology Program: Evaluation Report, prepared for the Office of Business Initiative and Resource Management, U.S. Small Business Administration (Washington, DC, 1998).
- The Nature and Implications of the Adjustment Processes Used by U.S. Manufacturing Firms in Import-Impacted Industries. Washington, DC: Economic Development Administration, 1981 (with A.D. Arsem and T.G. Gutteridge).
- "The North American Free Trade Agreement: An Assessment of Current Issues and Prospects," in Continental Trading Blocs: The Growth of regionalism in the World Economy. Edited by R. Gibb and W. Michalak (Wiley, August, 1994), with A. D. MacPherson.
- "Recent Canadian Direct Investment in the United States: An Empirical Perspective from Western New York," Environment and Planning A, 25 (1992), 121-136, with A. D. MacPherson.
- "Canadian Establishments in Western New York: Some Preliminary Findings," Canadian Journal of Regional Science, 13 (1990), 189-204, with A.D. MacPherson.
- "Geography of International Trade." Progress in Human Geography, 10 (1986), 471-483.
- "The International Location of Manufacturing Investments: Recent Behavior of Foreign Corporations in the U.S." In Spatial Analysis, Industry, and the Industrial Environment: Progress in Research and Applications, Volume III. Edited by F.E.I. Hamilton and G.J.R. Linge. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 3 (1983), 337-358.
- "The Internationalization Process and Spatial form: research Problems and Prospects." Environment and Planning A, 14 (1982), 1633-1644.
- "The Export Decision: An Empirical Study of Firm Behavior." Economic Geography, 55, No. 3 (1979), 171-183.
Return to HOME PAGE